Saturday, June 22, 2013

Chickens?

How do you feel about neighbors having chickens in Minerva Park?

The village has allegedly "ok'd" them citing Franklin County's policy on them. 

But what if the chickens are in plain sight for all to see? 



How is this better than a vegetable garden in the front yard? MP tried to legislate those out of the park a while back. I don't think anything came of it. 

Bottom line is this; whenever something irritates the right person (be they in the hen house with council or the rooster that never stops crowing) there is discussion of creating an ordinance to satisfy that one person. But if you're not in that club, you're not going to get far with your concern from what I've witnessed. 

I'm all for the country way of life, myself, and I'd love to have chickens and grow a vegetable garden again. But I don't because of my locality. I have a dog. We now have foxes in the park. My interest in pursuing these dreams takes me out of mp and into a less legislated way of life. 

So, as residents or even observers, how do you feel about chickens in the park? Is there a need to create setbacks and rules as to where and how they're kept? 

This hen house looks well built and  perhaps you might say cute, but what's good for one has to be good for the other. What if it wasn't as well built? What If you find it ugly? What can be done to uphold both the freedoms we Americans are entitled to and the quality of the neighborhood?

Oh and what if someone starts selling eggs? Are they going to be required to have a home occupancy permit too, like all other businesses in the park are required to have?

Food for thought. 

1 comment:

  1. Cara Chatfield RohrbaughMarch 31, 2014 at 10:34:00 AM EDT

    I don't believe that keeping an appropriate amount of chickens (hens) should be a problem. Someone will always have a issue with something. In my hometown, the neighborhood problem was an unusual fence. Yet others found it quite attractive and artistic. Locale, in my opinion, is not a valid argument. I've seen people keeping chickens in New Orleans' Garden District. A small, urban flock composed of hens is not a farm, and is less disruptive to many than a barking dog.

    ReplyDelete